1. Orchidal's novella 'Liber Exuvia' is now available to order globally via Amazon. Printed and bound in paperback, the cover and layout were designed by Orchidal (Elytron Frass) himself. Support your local artists, order a copy today!

Age of Sigmar

Discussion in 'Tabletop/Digital Interactive & RPGs' started by Shasvre, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Shasvre

Shasvre Part of the scenery

I thought AoS would take place before the events of WHFB, but apparently it takes place after. Sigmar creates a new world and some of the champions of the Old World are made into gods (Tyrion, Malekith, Teclis and others). Eight realms are created and the Chaos attacks and fucks things up again, so the good guys retreat to the last realm standing and tries to protect it.

More or less. You can read the fluff here.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191514

2. huol

huol III

3. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

Copy/pasting my review of AoS:

AGE of SIGMAR

An unbiased review

Rather than use a traditional format, I'll just break the review down into three sections that judge three categories each.

The Good

Models

As usual for a GW starter set, the models are fairly impressive detail wise, and assemble very easily. The Stormcast dudes with two handed hammers and the not-Khorne Berzerkers are easily my favourites from the box. The Stormcast models look much better painted in darker colours, by the way.

Fluff

I actually like the new fluff, apart from a few niggles I'll detail later. The strong tie between Sigmar and dragons is cool, and you can tell that they're going to continue fleshing out these new worlds through campaigns and expansions so that the setting can grow.

Crunch

Not much positive to say about it other than the removal of points costs potentially being a good thing in that it removes a lot of the worst aspects/people from the meta, and that I kind of like the way wounds and effectiveness are handled for large monsters. I'm interested in trying it, although I don't know how much replay value it has, even with the huge number of different models I have.

The Bad

Models

Despite being technically amazing models, they suffer heavily from the GW "let's put skulls and dangly shit on EVERYTHING" design aesthetic. This is a matter of personal preference, I don't mind it usually but feel it's been over done here. There are also dozens of details, spikes and fine components that are clearly not intended for use as regular playing pieces, you can bend/break some of them just by looking at them, let alone drunkenly moving them around a tabletop. I hate to think of all the troubles the younger/beginner demographics will have with such delicate figures.

Fluff

This also suffers from modern GW design ideas. I'm sure anyone familiar with 40k remembers this bullshit starting with the Blood Angels and Space Wolves codexes in 5th edition, but AoS is a huge offender here. Some examples include: Bloodsecrators and Bloodstokers leading Blood Warriors and Blood Reavers into battle, Stormhosts of Stormcast Eternals with Boltstorm Bows, and Sigmars' comet Sigmarabulum being made of purest Sigmarite. Jesus fucking christ.

Crunch

A lot of it, tbh. The rules aren't actually awful but it really feels like the sort of light hearted skirmish game you'd make up with a few bros at the pub and then play maybe twice while waiting for the other guy in your RPG group to arrive, with the game never spoken of again. That is to say, the rules are serviceable but in order to have any depth or replayablity, will need a page or two of homebrew objectives and special rules created for each game. GW is supposedly going to be releasing huge numbers of scenarios that fill in this missing chunk of the game, but I imagine they'll be as dull as the core rules.

The Ugly

Models

I can't really critique too much here other than a few dreadful proportions (in particular, the reavers look more like orkz than men), and the fact that some of the sprue connections are so fine that several pieces had fallen off in-transit and one very important piece bounced out of the box and rolled onto the floor and now I can't find it. Similarly, the champion of the not-Berzerkers had a major piece fall off and become damaged due to the overly fine spikes on it.

Fluff

I can sympathize with the people who are butt-devasted about the death of the old setting, but I simply don't share their views. I still have all my old books and models, that story hasn't gone anywhere.

Crunch

I've been collecting and playing WFB since 2001 and 8th edition was the worst thing to ever happen to the game. It needed to be put down. Personally I was hoping AoS would use rules based on the Lord of the Rings game because they're simple and scale well between light skirmish and massed battle, but instead we got an overly simplistic game with a lot of "fill in the blanks yourself" type of semi-ambiguous rules. As I said, I'm interested in trying it out but I have zero expectations for it. It also seems like it will function best with maybe 5 - 25 models per side, but before the rules even begin they give you an example of a battle involving 100 models per side. I don't think they thought this through very well.

4. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

By the by, I'm gunna be using some of the Sigmarines from the starter and some converted Japanese-themed undead as warbands for this game. When I actually get around to playing a game or two I'll tell you how bad it was. Or good, if that's the case... but I'm doubtful.

• Spoopy Spoopy x 1
  5. Shasvre

My problem with the Stormcast models is that they look just like the damn Blood Angels.

6. huol

huol III

[​IMG]

bugs.jpg

• Salt Salt x 1
  7. huol

huol III

My problems not even that. They're just so bland, they look like they walked right out of a blizzard game.

8. Shasvre

Some of the art looks pretty neat. This one in particular.

[​IMG]

9. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

Played my first game of AoS, my old Dark Elves vs Sigmarines. The rules actually function better than expected, I think especially because of the huge amount of terrain we used. I made an objective based scenario to play, which I think also helped. The game lasted about 45 minutes and was roughly the same level of fun as a game of 40k, which is to say I'm damning the game with faint praise.

• Spoopy Spoopy x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Shasvre

I saw the starter box in the window of a local store the other day. It's been pretty long since I've spent any money on GW products, but I might actually pick this up later this month. The idea of a fresh start, both for the fluff/game and me as a gamer appeals to me.

Now to find someone who would be willing to play this with me.

11. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

Did you read my [spoilered] review up page?

As for buying into this game: The new fluff is actually pretty good, it's juts full of cringey as fuck naming conventions (like all modern GW product). The biggest problem the game has is actually the number of people who got buttmad over it, which means your best bet for finding opponents will be pickup games in gaming stores/clubs. The problem with that is, there's no points values which puts a lot of people off pickup games, rinse and repeat cycle.

The upside is, the rules are simple enough to get non-gamers involved, and the box contents are surprisingly balanced so if you paint both armies up you can have some good match-ups.

12. Shasvre

I did read the review. Like you said, except for some of the names, it isn't that bad.

I have some friends who don't pay much attention to the fluff, so I could probably convince them to try it out. One of them would be hell bent on playing Skaven though. Are the rules for the old armies/models included in the core rulebook, or do you still need the old army book?

Come to think of it, I think I saw something about rules for old armies being up for free on GW's site.

13. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

All old books are defunct because this is literally a different game, it doesn't share stats, values or anything with WFB. There are free rules for all existing factions on the website, but they were just thrown together as a stop gap and possibly don't function as well as the two new factions. Be warned though that the prices are more insane than ever, although this is mitigated by no longer needing to follow a force org chart or take minimum core troops. If you can, buy the core box at a discount too. There are a lot of websites that offer pretty good reductions on the price.

14. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

Which country are you in, m8?

15. Shasvre

The starter pack comes with a pretty decent force, so I'm sure it will keeo me (and my wallet) busy for some time.

I'm in Sweden.

16. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

Ah yup. FYI for your friend who would insist on Skaven, tell him to buy second hand/discount unless he's really got cash to burn. This is the price for the Skaven battalion box http://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/Skaven-Battalion , and it doesn't even come with the new bases - you have to buy them separately if you want round ones. Plus all the nicer, newer models don't come in bundle deals and are even harsher on the wallet.

17. Shasvre

He's already got a Skaven force, so do he have to change bases on every model to be able to play with them? Kind of tricky with all that plastic glued together.

Guess we could just wing a few house rules if that's the case.

18. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

19. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

20. Cancerblack

Cancerblack ad lucem

Been playing in an AoS campaign and using meme warfare constantly in the chat/roll20 group. Here's the full version of my avatar, made for when I attacked the undead empire to the south of my goblins. I'm also The Fresh Prince of Miragliano, and Straight Outta Badmoon.

[​IMG]