1. Orchidal's novella 'Liber Exuvia' is now available to order globally via Amazon. Printed and bound in paperback, the cover and layout were designed by Orchidal (Elytron Frass) himself. Support your local artists, order a copy today!

Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul / "Greenbriar"

Discussion in 'Television' started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum Moderator Staff Member Fence Sitter

Anyone want some coffee? bogslol

2. Nightmare Asylum

---

[​IMG]

bugs.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  3. Nightmare Asylum

Matt Talbot is back at it with the phenomenal posters.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Nightmare Asylum

The Kim Wexler Show

5. Nightmare Asylum

also Jimmy is going to steal the Hummels from Irene and fuck this show

6. Nightmare Asylum

7. Nightmare Asylum

I was worried about how this season would feel, now existing in Chuck's shadow.... The final moment of tonight's episode once again hit hard... and like so many things this season so far, it hit me because Jimmy had no reaction whatsoever.

BCS is a different show this year, but it has to be. And some might complain that more and more elements of it are becoming very Breaking Bad prequely, but really, even all of that is in service of Jimmy's character and his development. In not too long a span of time now, that will be his world, and he is going to excel in it.

8. Nightmare Asylum

9. Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper Space Patrol Staff Member Cyberfunk

I have been! The latest episode has been my favorite so far. I'll repeat what I said to Veps and Shadow about the "Street Life" montage: it's like in a super hero origin movie when they put on their first shitty suit and try to fight crime and ultimately fail spectacularly after an equally spectacular high. Also noteworthy was the way he was captured in that montage: a lot of the Saul Goodman hustle is him talking - more than anyone else.

In the montage, he's show listening a lot of the time, and he seems genuinely charming and unexpectedly thoughtful rather than animated with cartoonish gestures and buddy-buddy body language. It's like he's taking the time to actually listen to the perspective of all these people, their past, their present state of life, and the [legal] issues they're dealing with so that later on he can handle it all without them saying more than one word:

[​IMG]

Part of me feels like he genuinely likes a lot of these people, because, as he alludes to later on with Kim later on, they're his people... or at least who he used to be as Slippin' Jimmy. That's who Chuck always said he'd be.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Nightmare Asylum

Absolutely agreed, on all counts. I was so weary of what a Chuck-less season would be like, but his crushing weight and presence is held over every bit of the season. His last post-mortem "fuck you" is looming over Jimmy, but not suffocating him anymore. It has finally freed him. And where there was once a pretty distinct divide between Jimmy's story and everything going on with Mike and Nacho and the cartel, this season with every episode those two worlds are drawing closer and closer.

Still, fuck Jimmy if he ever dares to go after Irene's Hummel. angrypepe2 Let her have peace!

And if last season was McKean's, this year so far has belonged to Rhea Seehorn, who has wowed me with every second of presence she's had on screen.

Not sure if you listen to the Insider Podcast, but if not...

The opening BrBa-set flash forward was actually shot on film like Breaking Bad, as opposed to digital like Saul. They wanted it to to look and feel exactly like it was taken directly out of the former show.

Wasn't even a recreation of the set either. Literally the original Saul office set, which had been in storage.

• Spoopy Spoopy x 1
  11. Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper Space Patrol Staff Member Cyberfunk

I listen to the podcast during my commute the day after! Did the same for Breaking Bad.
    I love how immediately distinct the film is when the flash-forward starts, it clues all film buffs right in immediately that this is a flash-forward, if the instruments laying around hadn't already. They even show it all on hand-held like a lot of Breaking Bad was, as opposed to Better Call Saul's smooth and steady approach. Object POV shot, too!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Nightmare Asylum

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  13. Nightmare Asylum

14. Nightmare Asylum

Started up Breaking Bad for the first time since 2013ish. Let's see how this goes, with four seasons of Better Call Saul in me now...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Nightmare Asylum

16. Nightmare Asylum

IF this is real, then perhaps it is the reason why Gilligan wasn't a showrunner on Saul's fourth season? Busy prepping this?

I'm so confused...

This sounds, I don't know, pointless? But then, I felt the very same about Better Call Saul and we all know how I feel about that show... It would seem weird seeing something in this universe not taking advantage of their mastery of the episodic structure but... I don't know, I feel like they've earned enough good will at this point for me to not preemptively judge anything at this point.

But God I hope whatever this thing is, they don't tell any story with Jesse post-BrBa.......

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  17. Nightmare Asylum

Peter Gould likes this Tweet.

The Albuquerque Journal includes a logline stating the film “tracks the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom.”

I get such heavy Jesse post-S5 vibes from that. And that's the one corner I've never wanted to see explored. After all the shit he went through, I just wanted the last we see of him to be him speeding off down the street.

I trust Gilligan, but this is all so out of left field that it is tough to process, so I should probably just hold out for more details and put my faith in the guys that have given me so much content that I absolutely adore. If Breaking Bad is their Godfather, and BCS is the even better Part II, I hope that this isn't their Part III.

• Empathy Empathy x 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  18. Shas

Shas Part of the scenery

Very unexpected. I'm always open for more Breaking Bad, given the success of Better Call Saul, but having it as a film will definitely feel a bit weird.

Besides, we all know Jesse went to jail after the series finale. almightloaflol

19. Nightmare Asylum

alexjonesmad

20. huol

huol III

I'm open to it after watching BCS, but also... Not?

Jesse driving to freedom is so cathartic, I dont want to see him bogged down in more problems trying to 'break good' and getting involved with some Andrea 2.0 situation.

bogslol let him escape

• Empathy Empathy x 1