1. Orchidal's novella 'Liber Exuvia' is now available to order globally via Amazon. Printed and bound in paperback, the cover and layout were designed by Orchidal (Elytron Frass) himself. Support your local artists, order a copy today!

Crazy Rich's Arts and Crafts

Discussion in 'Back Alley Art' started by Crazy Rich, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich Part of the scenery Suicide Squad

This is where I post my arts and craft stuff, enjoy.

This was my very first attempt at this style of pumpkin, in which you don't cut all the way through but rather hollow out the face. It was actually youtuber Robbaz that inspired me to try it out when he released this video.

I didn't have a high speed rotor tool with a diamond tip, I instead used the more time consuming method of taking little pieces away at a time with a screw driver with a thin slotted tip, that was my carving method which requires patience.

This was my result. I love it for being my first pumpkin done with this method and I generally got very positive reviews from the trick or treaters and it put a big smile on my face. I'm thinking that I'll be doing this again next Halloween and might even take on two pumpkins depending on how up for it I am.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is something I actually finished April 14th, but only cared to show it to family (they really liked it) until now.

[​IMG]

I didn't draw Applejack herself, and not the Montreal Canadiens logo either but I did use it as a sort of paint palette and decided to keep it in (serves as I.D too for those not well versed in the NHL). What I did draw and improve on within about 3 days was my attempt at an aesthetically pleasing NHL jersey (specifically Montreal Canadiens). I wanted to explore what else I could do with GIMP 2 and the NHL Playoffs was happening at the time and so that lead to me taking this project on for some fun.

Never before did I think I could do anything like this, and in fact much of the first day was me saying "I want to give up" because it was going horribly from what I remember, but after so much trial and error I finally got somewhere, then during the second day I had completed Version 1. Version 1 then served as a base for more improvement and continued trial and error, which lead to Version 2, and then did even more improving after and came up with a final result during the third day, Version 3. Version 3 is what you're looking at now.

I really like it, and the family liked it. My brother was particularly impressed and said I should go to school and be an animator or designer or something, to which I responded with "Noooo, you overestimate me greatly". It was a lot of work doing something I've never done before but in the end I felt satisfaction.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crazy Rich

My pumpkins turned out great this year, and the response has been really positive. I myself am really happy with the results.

Applejack:
    [​IMG]
    Stormtrooper:
    [​IMG]

Stormtrooper was more relaxing, while Applejack I started around mid-day yesterday and it took about 15-16 hours to complete.

I was going to do a more detailed Stormtrooper but after spending so many hours on the other pumpkin I decided to choose a more simple design to be more relaxed and timely with. As for Applejack I decided to do away with the old stencil I found then edited, and decided to just make my own AJ stencil from scratch.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Crazy Rich

Some more pics of my pumpkins from my own phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Crazy Rich

So this idea is a first for me. In order to learn how to be an improved artist I figure I need to start from somewhere. As bad as these look what I'd like from the artistic side of the community is some constructive criticism, point out the flaws and also suggest ways I could practice and improve upon, other kinds of suggestions are welcome too. Here's the first two drawings I've done for this idea, critique away.

Date: February 06, 2016
    Format: Digital
    Program G.I.M.P (GNU Image Manipulation Program) 2
    Drew With?: built-in touch pad on lap top
    Tools Used: Paintbrush, Eraser, Colour Picker
    Drawing Method: blobs of colours with greatest surface area first, then add in the details, lines and shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One suggestion I'll actually make for myself right now is to try and draw with multiple layers rather than one single layer so that making corrections will be easier and have less impact on the whole image.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crazy Rich

This isn't all I've done in my sketch book (though there isn't that much else right now). But I felt like showing a drawing I did on on day 1, and just side by side compare it with what I've done tonight. (also not the best quality pictures, I may look into seeing if the new scanner is a doable option in the future)

Day 1:
    [​IMG]

Tonight:
    [​IMG]

I feel like it's an improvement, though I need to of course practice some more.

Edit: And I just noticed I forgot to erase the line going across at the top of the forward leg/add a little extra line at the back of said leg, going into the main body, fixed in my book.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  6. Crazy Rich

My first time practicing with people (while at the same time practicing circles and lines).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. Crazy Rich

More people practice.

[​IMG]

Next row begun.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Crazy Rich

Halloween Pumpkin 2016!

BB-8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Spoopy Spoopy x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Seth Rogan

Seth Rogan Part of the scenery

Just a question, why ponies?

• Empathy Empathy x 1
  10. Vepariga

Vepariga Part of the scenery

You got some legit Pumpkin carving skills Rich, great stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crazy Rich

My latest work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. idov

idov Moderator Staff Member

Nice work!

Off Topic: Not a fan of the MLP stereotype though - you're better than that. It feels like the equivalent of calling yourself a music fan but only listening to Nickelback imo

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crazy Rich

I like colourful ponies though. kub1

• Like Like x 1
  14. idov

idov Moderator Staff Member

Lickety-Split love can only take you so far

15. Crazy Rich

Well firstly keep in mind I'm inexperience as fuck at drawing, and a good way to get going is to draw things you like by reference, that other drawing of mine is right out of my book The Art of Battlefield 1.

Plus I want to strive to hopefully draw amazing colourful ponies, with clean lines and amazing resemblance to the show including colour, and do stuff like gestures, one day.

But in the process of doing that or drawing anything in general I also develop more in general, develop clearer lines, proportion and placement, gestures, form and construction, and anatomy and stuff like that.

If BF1 guy is anything to go by though I won't just draw ponies, I'd like to try and learn stuff like people or tanks or some other random stuff, also making a Lancaster-bomber Star Wars-esque is on the long-term back burner.

Most important thing though I think is, just draw what you enjoy drawing, because if you don't enjoy it then what's the point.

16. Crazy Rich

I experimented with colours and sharpie pen, a first for both. Originally I just wanted to try what I've seen others do before and use sharpie to give their lines a different look, but than I just decided to get the closest colouring things and see what happens.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crazy Rich

Just something as light exercise/study, my reference being Freehand Figure Drawing for Illustrators by David H. Ross.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  18. Crazy Rich

What I did for fun today (did a rough mannequin of circles and lines then I fleshed it out). Certainly more fun than drawing boxes, as Stanely "Artgerm" Lau said at Fan Expo, you gotta make time for fun because if you just study study study than you will die.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Crazy Rich

A work in progress thing (and looking at my last drawing, noticeable difference between 6B pencil on my last drawing and 4H pencil in this drawing I think, I remembered to go with 4H for sketching this time and to try and be more gentle).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Crazy Rich

Completed the drawing of the picture where I was going for proportions and giving more love.

[​IMG]

And some quicker reference drawings from my smaller book I took to martial arts on Monday for when I waited for the bus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1