1. Orchidal's novella 'Liber Exuvia' is now available to order globally via Amazon. Printed and bound in paperback, the cover and layout were designed by Orchidal (Elytron Frass) himself. Support your local artists, order a copy today!

Godzilla

Discussion in 'Godzilla & Other Kaiju (Toho, et al)' started by danklos, Jul 13, 2015.

1. tbeasley

tbeasley Part of the scenery

Yeah but wouldn't you say depicting Godzilla as just an animal misconstrues a fundamental aspect of the character? They intentionally made him impervious to conventional weaponry and all that in the original, and part of the fun of Japanese monsters over time is that they do have special powers and abilities. This is what sets them apart from most western monsters like King Kong that are just oversized animals. There's an outlandish/fantastical aspect to kaiju/tokusatsu films that some respond to and simply get while others (Devlin/Emmerich) find fault in.

On the origin, the problem with G98 is that it's an excuse for the monster to show up and that's it. There's no added emphasis to it, he's not imbued with qualities of the bomb like the original, it's no different from other US atomic monster movies. There's no meaning to it beyond that, even passing the blame from America to France (?) comes across disingenuous.

Yes, the proposed 94 origin goes for a more pulpy/comic book-y angle, and I love the original as much as anyone, it's probably my favorite film, but Godzilla has gone on to be many different things (villain, hero, a little bit of both) over time.

As somber as the original is you still as an audience member get to revel in the mayhem and destruction caused by a giant unstoppable monster. There's an undeniable spectacle to that some seem to ignore when clinging to the original and saying Godzilla can only be a strict nuclear metaphor and that's it. Part of what makes him so great as a character is that he can be so flexible, but there are still core elements you have to follow, because they're just as important.

tldr You can't change literally everything about a character but say it's fine cause you kept the basic idea of the initial origin. There's a difference between that and shaking things up while keeping the character recognizable and faithful.

2. Stanley Kuteprik

Stanley Kuteprik I actually do like Star Wars ULTRA BULLY 9000x

G'98 is still considerably better than a massive chunk of the original Godzilla movies
    Nerds with rose tinted glasses seriously trying to argue most of those dull Showa movies or Godzilla vs SPESS GODZILLA are superior
    zlol

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Omega

Omega Part of the scenery Premier Raiju Defamer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"they were trying to kill it"

[​IMG]

(even then, this is steering off the original point I was making, but w/e I guess)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller Part of the scenery 11 year old

Godzilla 98 is considerably more watchable than more than a few of the Toho efforts thanks mostly to modern film making techniques, the big budget, and the first act which promises a cool, modern take on Godzilla by writing checks on the films that came before which bounce handsomely by the 1 hour mark.

It is on par with a majority of the other Toho films in terms of story and acting but lacks the heart and soul of what makes those films charming and enduring to begin with. As goofy as King Kong vs Godzilla was, or as gonzo as Finals Wars was they are both infinitely more entertaining and get more rotation in my disk players than 1998.

5. danklos

danklos Part of the scenery Furry

Final Wars kurtlol PogChamp

6. Stanley Kuteprik

Stanley Kuteprik I actually do like Star Wars ULTRA BULLY 9000x

jayzechjayzechjayzechjayzechjayzechjayzechjayzech

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. danklos

Since Final Wars has been brought up. You guys do know what I'm going to have to do right? You do understand what this entails? What this means? What must be done? Yes? Good.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Omega

9. tbeasley

Yeah but G1994, G2014, what have you still look and act like Godzilla, that's my point mike1

Tonally you can go in different directions that's fine, that's how we go from Showa to Heisei to Millennium, etc. They all check off what we should recognize from Godzilla in look, personality, powers, etc. while G98 is like this bizzaro bare minimum.

A simple nuclear origin does not override or justify all the other crap they did with the character alexjonesmadglasswhy

10. Omega

Of course: depicting Godzilla as just an animal is minsconstruing a fundamental aspect of the character, but removing its connection with the atomic bomb is not -- it is not a core element of Godzilla. After all, Godzilla represents thermonuclear warfare but he can very well be the hero (!) being so flexible, nuclear connection or not. Taking liberty in that aspect is fine, but not when it comes to reinventing other elements and this is not arbitrary (see original point). 'S not like there can be multiple takes on the thing

Having nuclear energy/atomic bomb(s) as just an excuse for the thing to show up -- in the process 'passing the blame' to the French -- is disingenuous, but having it as a token + excuse for the big guy & the stapler remover cloverfields to show up, while doing retroactive history by rewriting bomb tests as attempts to kill a perceived threat (instead of what they actually were) is fine

I rest my case

11. blacklabel

blacklabel Part of the scenery

I'm fine with the backstory changes in G98. zidk

Those are the least egregious parts of the film.

12. tbeasley

glasswhy

13. Omega

14. Punished Krak: A Man Denied His Memes

Punished Krak: A Man Denied His Memes Local Illuminati

ahaha you nerds

going through this thread, and christ need new glasses

[​IMG]

thought he was pouring goo into his asshole

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. danklos

Does Hedorah have an asshole or is the nigga like a slime girl.

• Thirst Thirst x 1
  16. tbeasley

[​IMG]
    HEDORAH snooplol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aspie

Aspie Part of the scenery Weeb

i havent seen final wars in about 8 years

but that can’t be the original soundtrack

right

• Funny Funny x 2