1. Orchidal's novella 'Liber Exuvia' is now available to order globally via Amazon. Printed and bound in paperback, the cover and layout were designed by Orchidal (Elytron Frass) himself. Support your local artists, order a copy today!

KNIGHT's Art; Recreating a World

Discussion in 'Back Alley Art' started by KNIGHT, Dec 10, 2016.

1. KNIGHT

KNIGHT Part of the scenery Global Surveillance Jet Plane

For some time now, I've been dealing with some depression and anxiety issues. One big factor was feeling as if I had lost all of my creative passion. At one point in my life, I was constantly drawing. I had a small sketchbook almost completely filled with the creatures i made up.

Then suddenly it all just... grinded to a halt. I just had no more creativity, and it felt like everything I did stopped making any difference. Years have passed since then. Things got worse for me, and my creative drive was nothing but a memory.

Then, when talking to someone else about this, i got to thinking about that little book i had. I found it, and came up with an idea.

To redraw the creatures I created, and breath new life into them.

These creatures all existed in a world imagined by my childhood self. The goal with this miniproject is to use my growth as an artist to show them in a different light, and hopefully recapture what my mind tried to create. To respect these drawings, because they are all part of my life. Each creature, however big or small, fast or slow, peaceful or dangerous, silly or cool, they all helped shape me in some way. In a way, these drawings are me. They reflect who I was at the time, my mindset in that stage of my life.

The way I plan to do this is to make one post per page as I redraw, with my thoughts on the creatures and what I think I may have been thinking at the time. At the time of making this setup post, I have the first three pages redrawn. The full book has around 200 pages. Not all of these are filled, but most of them are. Which means i have a lot of creatures to draw.

• Spoopy Spoopy x 2
  2. KNIGHT

Page 1
    Tyroshea

To begin, I'll start by describing what little I actually remember about the world these creatures live in. The name of this planet was Tyroshea. It's climate was similar to Earth's, being varied enough to offer many forms of life. Tyroshea actually finds it's origins in an even older drawing book of mine, which will play a part much later. I don't know if these creatures were always intended to live on Tyroshea or not, but either way eventually i decided that planet was their home.

I don't remember how i came up with the name Tyroshea. I would have been close to 6 or 7 when i first used it. The name has stuck with me for a fascinatingly long time. I've even considered using it as a name in Goldenverse.

I also don't know if Tyroshea is a land of Science Fiction, Fantasy, or a mixture of both. Looking through everything, i really can't quite tell. Human beings inhabit this planet, but no other Earth creatures show up in any of my drawings connected to Tyroshea.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    [​IMG]
    These are the first two creatures in the book. For future reference, the older versions of the drawings will always be shown first.

[​IMG]

Florumurntru and Dranorata were the first two creatures to show up in this book, and would foreshadow a common theme for the creatures that would show up later. Those patterns?

A. A lot of snakes/snakes with wings/ snakes with legs

B. I pretty much exclusively drew everything from the side.

Some earlier creatures had small info pages attached to them, though i remember these were added well after most creatures were originally drawn. I will be adding these in as quotes to help give the full picture on these creatures.
    (Fun fact the Floru's name isn't correctly spelled in the info page)
    For some reason, I thought a sauropod with a tiny mouth would make for a good predator. That being said, this design is one i'm really fond of. It just feels really nice to me.

That foreshadowing for the Coo-Coo bugs tho.

When redrawing these two, i really wanted to incorporate their info pages more into the design. To reflect Floru's predatory lifestyle, I gave it a slightly thinner, faster build, though trying to keep its design recognizable. It's tail is a bit longer too, to help with balance while chasing prey.

With Dranoratas' design, i really didn't feel like much needed to be done, other than less holes in it's wings.

All in all, Page 1 is really about Florumurntru. It reminds me of when i was a little dinosaur crazed child, absolutely obsessed with these creatures that were no longer alive. So much so, that even when creating an entire other world for myself, I made sure they had a place there.

Up next: Down in the Deep, Blue Sea.

• Spoopy Spoopy x 2
    • Thirst Thirst x 1
  3. ShadowPred

ShadowPred M.A.N.T.I.S. Staff Member Suicide Squad

Unleashing dis inner world Kreygasm

It's cool to see your style of drawing in graphite. I think I've only ever seen your drawings done digitally.

This for example:

[​IMG]

Shows off dat movement and perspective really well.

Keep it up bruv, hopefully procrastination doesn't get the better of us this coming year. cenalol

• Spoopy Spoopy x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. KNIGHT

Yeah, it's easier to show off digital art. Much less steps involved in getting it presentable.

I actually much prefer graphite, hand drawing. I feel like I'm jusf all round better drawing when i can see directly the pencil on the paper.

5. KNIGHT

Page 2
    Wait is that a fucking egg?

Fun fact about KNIGHT: I am terrified of three things. Large dogs, spiders, and the ocean.

While the dog thing can be connected to oceans (story for a different day), for now let's just focus on the ocean part solo.

For somewhere around five years of my life, I lived in Florida. Not a very fun place to live honestly. Every time i went near the ocean, bad things would happen. Then the Crocodile Hunter died, which didn't help.

Every time i would go into the ocean, i would get extremely close to stepping on a stingray. Extremely close. Twice i only just barely managed to stop my foot before stepping on its terrible little face and getting stung by its murderous tail.

It was a slow buildup of a fear, but it is also an intense one. To this day i will not get in the ocean. Too much risk.

This book would have been started very shortly after i moved from Florida to a more landlocked state, and i think this page reflects my kind of 'coping mechanism' at the time. One is to accept the creepy evil that exists down there, and the other is to... well....

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-​

[​IMG]
    Sorry its sideways not sure why that happened
    [​IMG]

Four(?) creatures on this page.

Sleelia, Slapora, Pure Evil Squid, and...

Omleta.

I shit you not.

Like i'm not bullshitting this out of my butthole. Its name is Omleta.

I just... I really love past me.

Man I sure am glad I know now that I will never know why their names are different! The theme of this page was posing. I really wanted to prove to myself that I wasn't locked in to the side view with drawing, and i think these two are the best example of this. These two cyclopean lovefish. They are madly in love and will stay that way forever.

Truly the perfect OTP. KNIGHT needs to update that shipping wall!

Pure Evils were a recurring thing of mine throughout my entire life. Creatures mostly made of gel or some liquid-like substance, with a central brain, and very destructive creatures. You will see quite a few more Pure Evils by the end of this. This entry was likely the first step to connecting this book to Tyroshea.

I mostly just wanted to draw it from above. Fitting, since i think it reflects the fear of the ocean. The dark, mysterious, deadly creatures that haunt the depths, which may or may not even exist.

I just can't quite get over the fact that as a child, i made a creature that was just straight up a sunnyside egg. I didn't change much here. I didn't want to change much. Just decided to show it from a different angle.

The ocean will probably always terrify me, but sometimes it's fun to think about some of the silly creatures that live in water. Creatures like Omleta, so silly and innocent you can't possibly be afraid of them.

It is creatures like those that make it easier to forget about the ones waiting in the darker depths.

Up next: I still don't know what a Terraform is!

• Spoopy Spoopy x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. orchidal

orchidal Guest

Knight your post above is kinda coming off as insane ...real talk...but I like it. Embrace that shit.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. KNIGHT

It occurs to me now that I forgot to keep updating this (Even though I did continue redoing those old drawings in the book), and I also forgot to make this a thread for my general art.

This is now a thread for both my Tyroshea recreations, and my general art stuff. And now that I got a computer again I can do digital stuff once more!
    [​IMG]

Here is a Spider-Man sexily drinking a glass of water.

[​IMG]

And here is a jet drawing. I am not happy with the shading or clouds.

• Spoopy Spoopy x 4
  8. ShadowPred

ShadowPred M.A.N.T.I.S. Staff Member Suicide Squad

Spidey waterboarding himself! zcry

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. KNIGHT

[​IMG]

Hey Space Sweeper this is for u bby

Ended up trying to sort of recreate the old style I used to use for Goldenverse art, with some mixed results, but I'm happy enough with how it turned out. Not horrible for how little actual art I've done lately!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Spoopy Spoopy x 1
  10. Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper Space Patrol Staff Member Cyberfunk

Couldn't decide if I should rate Winner or Friendly, but I think Winner summarizes both.
    Thank you for this tribute to Destiny's actual best girl (luv u Ana) feelsgoodman

• Friendly Friendly x 1