1. Orchidal's novella 'Liber Exuvia' is now available to order globally via Amazon. Printed and bound in paperback, the cover and layout were designed by Orchidal (Elytron Frass) himself. Support your local artists, order a copy today!

Video Games General

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by huol, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich Part of the scenery Suicide Squad

2. Crazy Rich

Been playing Jurassic World.

Have unlocked Isla Tacano but chose to stay on Isla Muerta to complete all 3 missions and on the side do more research and gene completion (got stuff like the monorails and the heavy fences).

When I unlock all the buildings and upgrades I gotta revisit all the islands to make them better including better use of space.

3. Crazy Rich

Have unlocked Isla Sorna but am staying on Isla Pena to complete the missions.

This island really steps up the difficulty by being so small and confined and under threat of not uncommon twister storms which anger carnivores enough to try and break out.

But despite the challenge I like what I've with my park already, making good use of monorails in particular, and I have the space for another pen due to being space efficient.

4. Kimarhi

Kimarhi Part of the scenery

I GET THE NINTENDO CLASSIC

DAT DOUBLE DRAGON

5. Kimarhi

Detroit Become Human. The best out of the ones I've played by Quantic Dream.

6. Punished Krak: A Man Denied His Memes

Punished Krak: A Man Denied His Memes Local Illuminati

what numerical score would you give it kimbo

7. Kimarhi

Only play through it once so far, and I will always knock quantic games for actual lack of gameplay, but the story is much more polished than Heavy Rain with more emotional depth and only one (in my playthrough) bullshit plot twist.

3/5 gameplay
    4/5 story.

Will replay once more with different choices to see how it changes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Kimarhi

The plot twist isn't a cmon man like it was in heavy rain.

Well there was actually 2 plot twist, but they literally tell you way early on in the game if you pay attention what one is.

9. Punished Krak: A Man Denied His Memes

I thought it did some cool things but most of the things they tried to accomplish narratively where so on the nose it's sitting on your face suffocating you. Connors parts where probably the best ones, but even then there's dumb David Cage non-sense. However, that being said it's definitely the least dumb bullshit David Cage game so far, and the choices do seem to make a difference as far as character interaction.

As far as that earlier game plot twist, god I hated it so much, it seemed too stupid to be true and ruins the entire point of one of the characters I think.

While androids have always been an allegory for "the other" in sci-fi and the like, it felt even more heavy-handed and aggressively on the nose. Especially with picking a city like Detroit, the parallels to civil rights and the past and current state of the States, is just super we get it, David you wanted to make a civil rights game, but you lack the tact or perspective to respectfully get your point across without coming across as aloof and unaware of why he shouldn't and really can't tackle this subject matter well. These parallels and the whole allegory works well when it's more "Look at how humans dehumanize clearly alive things" (which this game actually does sometimes, especially in one segment) then just a straight up "THESE ARE BLACK PEOPLE". I mean there's a point where you can graffiti I HAVE A DREAM all over the city.

However, all that being said, the cool things the game does are actually really cool, or a semi-accurate picture of what life will be like in the near future. Self-driving cars they way we see them in Detroit, are actually in the works right now last I heard. I really enjoyed the Connor segments, especially the fact he can keep coming back, that possibility makes his story and interactions WAY more interesting to me. I could go on but I already wrote a damn novel aidlol If this was in the hands of a better writer I think it could have been something really interesting, instead it is just a better written David Cage game. Feeling a strong 6/10 on this one.

Honestly, if this game was just noir buddy cop robot detective cyberpunk lite, my dick would have been erect the entire time automatic 10/10.

10. Kimarhi

I can see where that would annoy people, but I also find it hard to to make a game about civil rights without drawing parallels to the actual civil rights movement. In this instance I think that the android aspect of being in a civil rights movement kept things interesting to navigate from a gameplay perspective but also understand why some people might think it cheapens the struggle of everybody that fought for equal rights in the 60's by injecting scifi into a very real event.

But scifi always does that. Some kid who just googles the answers to his history homework might play the game, read up on some game forum about how closely it parallels a real event and actually learn something about it.

I would be curious for Cage to tell us a story of his from start to finish without the choices making an impact like TLOU. Ultimately in this Quantic games I feel that the sheer amount of choices given to the player can cheapen the gaming experience because some of the story elements seem less focused on than they should have.

But we will never get that, since that dynamic is what they've hung their hat on.

Still I would say that this is the best of the three I've played, and HR has a soft spot in my heart even with the stupid ass killer plot twist.

11. Punished Krak: A Man Denied His Memes

He should have avoided the civil rights movement all together and do the typical generic "the other". I think it would've been way more effective for what he was attempting to do with the androids.

Cage writing a straight up videogame would be interesting if he went full stupid and someone else designed actual fun gameplay around it. Could be a cool b-movie videogame. Takes himself too seriously to do that. I agree their games feel like a mess storywise most of the time. Strong things are really strong, everything else though...

The main issue is the game relies solely on the narrative as there really is no gameplay, beyond obligatory QTEs and only there for the visual aspect andriod vision. If you're narrative is flimsy at best, obviously not the best thing going for you.

This is yeah 100% the best Quantic Dream game. Heavy Rain second and then the rest somewhere in the trash can.

12. Kimarhi

They are getting there. At least in this one you could actually walk normally. I remember in PS3 HR had some kind of crazy ass walking function that reminded me of the old PS REs. Maybe in the future you'll be able to do combat and shit without it being a QTE.

13. Punished Krak: A Man Denied His Memes

having tank controls in the modern day hestlol glad they went away from that

and boy when that game looks good it looks good

14. Kimarhi

I'd argue that Detroit is the best looking game I've played on PS4.

But I don't game near as much as I used to and finished this one only because I had the weekend and took two days off so might've missed another example.

15. Amaterasu

Amaterasu Part of the scenery Lunatic Fringe

[​IMG]

Played this back on Xbox as a rental when it was just the standard version if that's what ya wanna call it. Got so far but never got to finish it, about time I picked it up again and finished it, on PlayStation this time. Eagerly awaiting the mail for this one.

16. Kimarhi

I've got it but never played. Heard it was weird fun.

17. Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum Moderator Staff Member Fence Sitter

Isn't that one of the ones with the heavy Twin Peaks vibes?

18. Punished Krak: A Man Denied His Memes

Swery never watched Twin Peaks!!!! He swears!!!

19. Amaterasu

Amaterasu Part of the scenery Lunatic Fringe

Yes, and yes. iloveyoupat

20. Crazy Rich

Jurassic World Evolution

Finally found the time to build in the 3rd area of Isla Sorna and I also completed the science mission, so now I have completed all missions on all islands which I guess means I "beat" the game.