1. Orchidal's novella 'Liber Exuvia' is now available to order globally via Amazon. Printed and bound in paperback, the cover and layout were designed by Orchidal (Elytron Frass) himself. Support your local artists, order a copy today!

Wiener-Dog (2016, Todd Solondz)

Discussion in 'Comedy' started by Stanley Kuteprik, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Stanley Kuteprik

Stanley Kuteprik I actually do like Star Wars ULTRA BULLY 9000x

[​IMG]
    Wiener-Dog tells several stories featuring people who find their life inspired or changed by one particular dachshund, who seems to be spreading a certain kind of comfort and joy. Man’s best friend starts out teaching a young boy some contorted life lessons before being taken in by a compassionate vet tech named Dawn Wiener. Dawn reunites with someone from her past and sets off on a road trip picking up some depressed mariachis along the way. Wiener-Dog then encounters a floundering film professor, as well as an embittered elderly woman and her needy granddaughter—all longing for something more.

Twenty years ago, Todd Solondz took the Sundance Film Festival by storm when Welcome to the Dollhouse won the Grand Jury Prize at the 1996 Festival. Since then he has gone on to establish himself as one of the most uncompromising voices working in film. Wiener-Dog is vintage Solondz, brimming with brilliantly caustic and truthful observations about the human condition. He has a unique ability to find humor in the darkest of subject matter, allowing an empathetic light to shine on it.

Premiered last night at Sundance, receiving some pretty strong reviews:

An adorable mutt is at the heart of Todd Solondz’s deeply disturbing portmanteau comedy, starring Ellen Burstyn, Danny DeVito, Julie Delpy – and Greta Gerwig as the grown-up heroine of Welcome to the Dollhouse
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/23/wiener-dog-review-todd-solondz-sundance-greta-gerwig

The proverbial dog has its day — a day of misfortune, indigestion and possible death, but a day nonetheless — in “Wiener-Dog,” the eighth and perhaps most blithely eccentric feature to date from Todd Solondz. A wandering short story compendium, bound by deadpan musings on mortality and the presence of one winsome Dachshund, this elegantly wrought oddity appears at the halfway mark to be heading into uncharacteristically hopeful territory for Solondz — until a toe-tapping intermission marks a reassuring plunge into abject despair.
    http://variety.com/2016/film/festivals/wiener-dog-review-1201686820/

First comes Dawn Wiener, a character initially seen—not that it makes any difference here—in Solondz’s debut Welcome to the Dollhouse 21 years ago and now played by Greta Gerwig. Leading an aimless life and equipped with an imagination that leads her to name her new pet “Doody,” she sets out on a road trip with a guy from her past who suddenly turns up, Brandon (Kieran Culkin), a dawdling, aimless type with nothing interesting to say.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/wiener-dog-sundance-review-858582

• Spoopy Spoopy x 3
  2. orchidal

orchidal Guest

[​IMG]

no trailer yet :/

3. Stanley Kuteprik

Prolly won't be for a while, distribution ain't been secured yet I reckon

but regardless, all hail the return of Solondz KreygasmKreygasm

• Thirst Thirst x 2
  4. orchidal

orchidal Guest

he shouldn't have problem. we'll prolly get the trailer/announcement by Feb

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Stanley Kuteprik

Another great review:

Sundance Review: 'Wiener-Dog' is Todd Solondz's Angriest Movie
    http://www.indiewire.com/article/sundance-review-wiener-dog-is-todd-solondzs-angriest-movie-20160123
    Bookended by images of the dachshund trapped in a box, gazing complacently outward, "Wiener-Dog" hits on a visual metaphor for Solondz's entire career. With his wonderfully deranged final shot, Solondz suggests that the universe's indifference toward individual struggles means that it's not worth figuring out. Bizarre and challenging when it's not outright goofy, "Wiener-Dog" never feels remotely compromised. Somehow hilarious and gloomy at the same time, it represents a big middle finger to anyone who wishes Solondz would lighten up.

I'm pretty surprised--I thought this was going to continue the softer tone he struck in Dark Horse, but all the reviews say it's pretty nasty and mean-spirited... which is exactly how I like my Solondz. This might be my most anticipated film of the year now.

• Spoopy Spoopy x 1
  6. Stanley Kuteprik

Fuck. I spoiled the ending for myself. It sounds amazing and horrible.

At the end of the last act, Wiener-Dog runs from the backyard into the middle of a busy street and is hit by a truck, splattering his cute little body on the road. Solondz lingers on the shot, holding tight on the gory remains. Another truck speeds by and thumps over the bloody corpse. Then a carful of teenagers. Finally a tiny smart car. In an epilogue we find out that Wiener-Dog’s body was scraped off the ground by an avant-garde artist, who stuffs him and turns him into an animatronic art installation. THE END.

Read More: ‘Wiener-Dog’ Review: Love Dogs? Don’t See This Movie | http://screencrush.com/wiener-dog-review/?trackback=tsmclip

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. orchidal

orchidal Guest

Not reading any of them armscrossed

• Spoopy Spoopy x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Stanley Kuteprik

smugpepe you know you wanna open that spoiler tag

9. huol

huol III

I await the stream feelsgoodman

• Spoopy Spoopy x 1
  10. orchidal

orchidal Guest

retropepe

11. Rong

Rong Based Janitor Staff Member

How u go and ruin the ending, reading too many reviews no doubt

12. Stanley Kuteprik

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. ShadowPred

ShadowPred M.A.N.T.I.S. Staff Member Suicide Squad

I read the ending thanks to twitter!

• Salt Salt x 1
  14. Stanley Kuteprik

If you've never heard Solondz speak, here's your chance zlol

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Rong

Rong Based Janitor Staff Member

fuckin sounds like he has a tracheotomy.

• Empathy Empathy x 1
  16. Stanley Kuteprik

Best description of Solondz:
    "It is early evening and the terrace is awash with the Venetian elite: high-rollers and riverboat gamblers, molls and divas. Then in walks Solondz like an emissary from Planet Nerd with his thick specs and sloping shoulders and his welter of droll and drawling apologies ("Sorry I'm late. I got lorrst. I'm a little bit lorrst"). Sometimes when chewing over a question, he will respond with a non-committal whine – an elongated "Nyeeah" that is neither yes or no. The noise makes him sound like the venue's other, uninvited guests: the mosquitoes that drift back and forth across the terrace, discreetly snacking on its clientele."
    www.theguardian.com/film/2009/sep/10/todd-solondz-life-during-wartime

• Spoopy Spoopy x 1
  17. orchidal

orchidal Guest

Read that like 8yrs ago, damn the time cry1

• Empathy Empathy x 2
  18. ShadowPred

ShadowPred M.A.N.T.I.S. Staff Member Suicide Squad

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Alex_Murphy

Alex_Murphy Guest

oh fuck no

welcome to the dolls house was painful enough, how much more wiener suffering does one need to see

20. Alex_Murphy

Alex_Murphy Guest

they changed the wiener actress as well